Sunday, August 22, 2010

Jessie's Thoughts on Ravenous

This was another first time viewing for me but I had heard when this came out it was about eating people, basically so with that being it's most known plot point, I never really found myself interested in seeing it. But, years later, my mind has broadened much more and am pretty much down to watch any film out there, so was ready to give this one a viewing.

The film is not just a movie about eating people, even though it's the main thread that runs throughout, even that first scene where Boyd is face to face wtih about the rarest damn steak I've ever seen, I could see this was not going to be a shy film. His whole storyline was quite a different one for a protagonist, he was basically a coward who kept finding himself in difficult situations and his only instinct was to run. I thought all the characters that were set up in the beginning by the always entertaining Jeffrey Jones were all interesting and hated seeing them all go down in that one scene. I also noticed how did the cannibal escape the chains they had him bound in when he finds that knife? And was it explained how or why he showed up there only to kill all of them then be back with the military on assignment? Woudln't they have been keeping tabs on him?

I can't say overall I totally enjoyed this, it had some really unique music throughout and couldn't help but just smirk during the "Benny Hill chase scene" through the forest at the beginning. I just wasn't sure what this movie was going for as it boiled down to the end; was it just us watching Boyd's journey into the dark world of cannibalism and to a larger degree madness, was it all a plot set up by the General who hated him anyways? I kind of got that idea as he was enjoying the Flesh gumbo there at the end, and in that case was this some kind of metaphor for the Military itself being just a machine that "eats up" it's young soliders over and over again while the leaders feast on the bones? No, i'm reaching there, I think they had a unique script that ended with a nice climatic fight scene, which was sort of predictable but I thought this really needed to end with one of them eating the other.

Sidenote: Anyone else notice the similarities between the reveal of Ives as the Colenal same as the Doctor from Dr. Caligari's Cabinet? thought that was interesting

No comments:

Post a Comment