Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Brian B's thoughts on Mi Familia

Ya know, this film was alright. The sort of film that may be on TV on a Sunday and you wouldn't kick yourself for happening upon it and finishing to the end. The first half of the film really didn't work for me. We're told that JLo being rounded up and sent back to Mexico was a family altering event but she makes it back relatively quickly and with minimal conflict, river trip not withstanding. I guess we're supposed to buy into the "river spirit" coming to take what's his like some precursor to Final Destination. Part of Americanizing is undoubtedly setting aside old world superstitions. Was the film trying to make a comment on that? I doubt it. The hodgepodge of scenes did set up the 2nd half of the movie but felt like cliffnotes. Hitting me with the talking points without really drawing me in.

I'd have to agree with Brian that the movie started to draw me in when Jimmy got married. And as the couple learned to love each other it really hooked me. And while it's nice to know the whole back story of the family, a film that started with the sister learning about the impending deportation would have likely hooked me the same way.

I'll give Jimmy more credit than Brian did. I liked his performance and felt like his actions towards his son were believable. He wanted his son to love him and come with him but didn't know how to deal with the continued rejection when he finally felt like he was doing the right thing.

The moment that struck me the most in the film is towards the end when Jose walks over to the mantle and looks over the family pictures. In my house we never had many of these up, but I've been to many houses where there is a mantle, a wall or a table filled with family pictures. It drove home the fact that the families are shaped by many events often experienced by one member and felt by the whole, ultimately leading to the present. It was a nice moment and stirred up some nice emotions but overall the film felt shallow and superfluous.

No comments:

Post a Comment