Friday, August 27, 2010

Adam's Thoughts on The King of Kong

When watching this film I immediately knew that Bill was a freaking slime ball -- I loved how I could be so against Bill (a real person portraying himself) instead of some actor. I had such an emotional investment in this film hoping that Steve would kick Bill's ass.

The interlacing of home video and current footage was well done in the movie, especially toward the beginning when the topic of discussion was Time magazine coming to Iowa. Being a documentary, there wasn't really much to say about camera work -- although the camera was a bit shaky at times.

Most importantly, the emotional investment in the movie was key. Everyone want's to see the good, genuine guy, Steve, beat the egotistical snake-in-the-grass, Bill. When Steve was shown crying because he was screwed out of his score, I felt extremely bad for him. It was crazy that Bill could submit footage and be declared the victor when Steve had his title taken away for doing so.

Near the end of the documentary, when Steve greeted Billy and Billy said, "There's some people I'd rather not be around," I found myself saying out loud, "What a piece of shit!"

Even though Steve didn't win the challenge, I felt like he was the real winner because he was genuine and true -- the opposite of Billy. The ending of the documentary breathes a sigh of relief... what a great ending!

To be so emotionally involved in a documentary about two guys trying to achieve a high score in a video game is incredible. A big thumbs up to Steve and a big middle finger to Billy.

No comments:

Post a Comment