Sunday, October 3, 2010

Jessie's Thoughts on Old Joy

well, I've been intrigued since a few months ago when Brian told me this film reminded him of himself, me, and a good buddy of ours Ed, so it's had some build up in my head but this wasn't at all what i expected.

First let me tackle what happens in the movie and then try to relate it back to myself. I think most everyone can identify the central crux of this movie, reconnecting with an old friend, if even briefly. I am, though, going to pose a different hypothesis of this film: I saw it as Mark never felt as close to Kurt as Kurt did to him. I know when I get time with my really good friends who I don't get a chance to see often, I make the most of it, am not standoffish, or closed up, but more eager and excited. Mark doesn't display any of this behavior, it seemed a convenient way for him to get some time away from his rapidly evolving lifestyle and impending child on the way. The fact that it happens to come in the form of Kurt, who we get the clue that he's not totally dependable, or prepared, makes it easier, especially after the first night where the location wasn't found and he had to explain it to his wife at home. Another example are the glowing comments Kurt unleashes at different moments, like saying "I really miss you," or " I'm very proud of you." Mark never feels the need to divulge any of those personal sentiments to Kurt, and the reason is because he doesn't, so there's no guilt felt at all when he doesn't. Another interesting moment is when Kurt, around the campfire, asks Mark if he's ready for the long term hardships having a child will be, and Mark curtly responds "yeah." An example of how far apart these 2 have drifted, as Mark has surely by now been preparing himself mentally for being a father and Kurt is clearly sitting in the realm of uncomprehendable of being a father.

This didn't feel like a film at all, almost like a short story because action was nil, but there's a lot of emotion packed into the few events that transpire throughout the weekend. Looking at the Hot springs scene, I can't really see where the massage scene rests with me, my first thought is Kurt knew before hand exactly the scenario they would be in, resting, eyes closed, nude while just letting the water bubble over them trying to drift away from all the problems and thoughts of every day life, so to think him giving this massage was just spur of the moment doesn't make sense to me. There could be possible sexual motivations here, but it's not clear and Mark, having known this person longer than us, must have initially thought so too because of his clearly weirded out state.

I think I mostly agree with Brian in what drew me in was the situation of Mark. Without being too autobiographical or dramatic, I think I would fall in the category of Mark more often than Kurt. I've had to be responsible for having a job ever since I got my first car at 16 and i've had a job (or 2) ever since, even while attending college full time. I was made to pay rent to my own parents ever since I turned 18, and then also in the 4 or 5 places i've lived since then. I'm also married now 3 years and have a wonderful 2 1'2 year old daughter so I've also been there and been through that as well. So I can identify with the pressures of life and the every day responsibility and can understand how nice it is to get away once in a while and get a breather, which when things are going accoring to plan you can see in Mark's eyes. With Kurt, I can only identify when being with the guys and just being in the moment and just having fun with no thought to the future or consequences or any of those things. But I'm quite happy to have both of those things, when I can. I think it's a great balance; I feel quite badly for Kurt, he only has empty streets to walk when the weekend if over, but Mark will at least be able to, in the midst of work and a seemingly not so smooth relationship, have a child to look forward to in his future. I don't see many more, if any of those excursions in Mark and Kurt's future either. One thing about growing up and continuing to have life change with you is your own choices; you have a responsibility to your family, first and foremost, but also to yourself and your friends; as in my life, i've had more meaningful personal relationships with people not of my own blood than connecting with members of my own family, so it's not abnormal for me to give and care and want to share things with those people. I think you have to make the choice to keep those people you want in your life and be apart of theirs, and I just didn't see those kinds of feelings in Mark towards Kurt.

good thought provoking choice, boss.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it, Jessie!

    Are you suggesting that the massage was premeditated? Even if it was, I still feel (as stated in my essay) it was a selfless, beautiful act of generosity; in fact, if he'd planned to do it then it could possibly been seen that way even more so.

    You mentioned being in agreence with me about Mark being what drew you most in, although, I never specifically said that, and if pressed, I honestly see myself more as a Team Kurt member (let's get t-shirts made -- screw Edward and Jacob!). Nobody has mentioned it in their responses but a lot has been said by others about the droning talk radio Mark insistently listens to. The New York Times review states. "in which progressive radio (actually, snippets from Air America) delivers the relentless grind of bad news that Mark can only listen to without comment and with a face locked in worry, a face on which Ms. Reichardt invites us to project the shell shock, despair and hopelessness of everyone else listening in across the country." I think there's some symbolism transpiring there, Mark's uncertainty of (or numbness toward) the future, coupled with the radio broadcasters' seemingly dismal view of the country. Kurt's optimism resonated with me more than Mark's detachment. I think, while Kurt's future isn't cut in stone, there's still plenty of possibility, for experiences, for growth, and maybe one day a family of his own.

    I think one thing you hit on that may be the most poignant is maybe Mark never felt as strongly about Kurt. It's an interesting position but I think you could drum up some evidence to back it up. I touched in my essay on some of the things he said I found troubling, questioning his sincerity, his eagerness to get the trip done with and speed off back home (talk radio back on), etc. Maybe it was more of an excuse to just get a breather before entering yet another stage in his life.

    You said you felt sorry for Kurt but I think your sympathies may be slightly misguided. Most reviews (included the one quoted below) align themselves with Kurt as the "triumphant" (my word) one so to speak: "From the way Kurt looks at Mark, it seems clear he knows there won’t be another reunion. From the way Mark automatically switches on the car radio and its drone (“the uncertainty about the future”), it’s just as evident that only one traveler went anywhere. Joy wears out naturally for some people; others use it up. That Ms. Reichardt chooses to end her film with an image of Kurt, out in the streets and alive to the world, suggests that he hasn’t given up on it, and neither has she."

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the massage: good question, i def. don't think it came about as naturally as it may seem, if you go the homosexual route, maybe those compliments Kurt gives over the weekend is him working up the courage to give into that side of himself with a friend he's known for years; that's way out in left field though. I just think that massage doesn't just naturally happen between those two men in that situation.

    Yes, sorry i mean to say how you said you identified with both of them, i see how i worded it now.

    I don't think I would use the word triumphant for him. I meant i did feel sorry that he does obviously value Mark more so as a friend than Kurt does. He seems to be a generally positive person, who maybe is searching for more out of life. He gives the man money at the end, he probably doesn't have; don't think Mark would have and I think that's a distinct personality difference between them. I'm not suggesting Mark's life is any better in context, than the wondering existence of Kurt, because frankly we don't know anything about him besides he seems to be sort of a vagabound who clearly likes to blow his life in Asheville up to be wonderful but you can tell from his body language and tone it's made up, at least that's how i perceived it.

    I guess knowing he has a child on the way, i'm sort of biased, and knowing, as you do, the joy and bliss that comes with it. that being said, you can derive almost nothing from his wife/girlfriend and how that relationship is,nor couldyou say he would fall in love with fatherhood. It's a very open ended movie though and that has provided a cool chance for this dialogue. so nice pick

    really spot on commentary with the talk radio, i was trying to figure how that plays into it all and when you mentioned he immediately flips it back on after Kurt leaves, that clicked with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still reading articles on the film even today -- found some interesting quotes:

    This one (from Cynthia Fuch, director of Film & Media Studies and Associate Professor of English, African American Studies, Sport & American Culture, and Film & Video Studies, at George Mason University) is another that kind of illuminates that Mark's current existence might not be as ideal as you'd proposed:

    You never see Tanya again, though her annoyance sets a frame for Mark’s decision to go, and the ensuing, gentle shifts in his demeanor. It’s not that he’s unhappy, exactly, more like he doesn’t know what he is, or why he’s in his situation. When you meet Kurt, scruffy and bearded and often wide-eyed, you get a sense of how Mark might have been once, and how he might miss that other self. Both men have found their own ways of retreating from confrontation: Mark hardly speaks, absorbs Tanya’s upset and slips away; Kurt, as he admits, can’t fathom taking on the regular next step that Mark has taken, becoming a father. “It’s so fucking brave, man,” he says. “I’ve never gotten myself into anything I couldn’t get myself out of. A baby is for real.” As much as Tanya’s body represents that reality, it’s unnerving. And so Mark makes his getaway.

    Thinking back on my brother and all the other guys who loved Reservoir Dogs so fiercely I liked this quote:

    In some ways I think of Old Joy as the direct antithesis of a Peckinpah-Tarantino axis of masculinity.
    —Jonathan Raymond, Dennis Lim, “Change is a Force of Nature” (New York Times 26 March 2006)

    ReplyDelete