Friday, October 8, 2010

Adam's Thoughts on Eyes Without a Face

Excellent choice, Darrel. I really dug this film. The horror genre has seem to have become so convoluted with "pop-out-and-scare-you" and "stab-stab" horror that the genre itself is suffering. In viewing the 1960s French film, Eyes Without a Face, I find that I can point to a movie as a reference point. When asked, "What's a good horror movie?" I can respond with both Caligari and Eyes without a Face.

As I was watching this movie, I found myself saying over and over that the scenery in this film played such an essential role. The darkness and shadowy fore and backgrounds really played off the hurt and anguish that Christiane is feeling in her life. I liked how Dr. Genessier played the mad scientist role, not to cause harm for his own benefit, but to rectify the tragedy that was suffered by Christiane in the car accident that was his fault. This offered a glimpse of "good intent" on behalf of the surgeon.

I feel this film also carries two very important morals: be thankful for what you have, and know that someone somewhere else is suffering more. How many of us wake up in the morning and think, "I'm glad I have my face." Very few, I'm sure. This film brought to the forefront one of the many things that humans take for granted on a daily basis.

Really choice selection, Darrel. I'd love to discuss more classic horror some time and look forward to seeing your future recommendations.

2 comments:

  1. I rarely ever look to American horror anymore. If I want something that will screw with my head I go to Asian; European horror. Those two continents alone have produced some quality horror. Ever seen Haute Tension? That's another French one. More modern though.

    ReplyDelete