Sunday, October 17, 2010

Jessie's Thoughts on Eyes Without a Face

Well a most unique entry and served it's purpose of being a film I personally wouldn't have chosen myself or had heard about be it not through this little group. Not sure where to start, maybe I'm in the minority here but this didn't feel so much to me a horror movie, sort of in the same vein as Let the Right One In. Yes, there's murder, disfiguration, strange occurrences, but sort of feels like a story revolving around one central character and the strange lifestyle she's trying to deal with. I like how Daryl put "Christiane moves around her house like a ghost", in every sense of the word he's right. She has no life, her call to Jacques breaking the unwritten laws of her new existence while awaiting her new face. Even then, Christiane is gone, in spirit as much as name and body.

Her father is an interesting aspect of this film, as on the surface his motives seem noble, loving even, he wants his daughter to live on, with a whole face and body, no matter how he must achieve it. But once the movie starts getting deeper, it's obvious to everyone watching her life is miserable waiting for this new persona, and she has no will to go on like this. You don't see much face time between father and daughter either, as if just to do it is the payoff for him, he is more concerned about recreating what he did for Louise than really talking to his daughter about how she feels about it. I actually thought the ending made sense, and was happy with it, you were right though boss, Louise died with such poise, it was a strange scene.

I'm not sure ipulled some of the profound messages Geo was referring to while watching it, but i suppose you could, nonetheless it's a surprising movie because you may think one thing (as I was inevitably thinking this would be a more sophisticated version of freakish 80's horror film from my youth, "Pieces" and i guess it kind of was) but actually the filmmakers did have something in mind more than just baseless horror.

5 comments:

  1. When I first saw this movie, I thought thought to myself, Darrel, this would make a great macabre play. I was wondering if anyone else got that sense. It could easily be adapted to stage. Not to mention when she walks off in the woods in the end I could see people telling the story around a campfire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i could see that, very few set changes, it would be a very disturbing one to be sure. Brian mentioned the opening song, from Curb, but there's also a very similar sounding song that plays during Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call it your standard "demented circus music." You know to convey how warped things are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The demented circus music really took me out of the moment every single time (and there were a lot). I think too much circus and not enough demented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree that it wasn't the best choice. I would have went with something a little more melancholy myself. There was a sense of tragedy there. Just not enough.

    ReplyDelete