Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Jared's Thoughts On Let The Right One In...

I can say, immediately, that this is one of the most provocative and interesting entries in to the horror genre, or Vampire sub-genre or whatever, that I've taken the time to watch (repeatedly). I purchased this sight unseen when it was first released on DVD simply because the movie geek sites I frequent were all but making love to the movie in every post that I read about it...

It's easy to see why.

I've seen it remarked that the cinematography and sound design were some of the key aspects to making this movie the beautiful, tragic experience that it is, and obvious, I have no choice but to agree wholeheartedly. I think it worth mentioning as well that the acting, all around, made this ominous story all the more believable as each and every actor sold me on the fact that these events were really taking place. For me, that's the benchmark of a truly effective horror film - if the characters can truly experience the extraordinary events they are going through and allow that to come through on film, then I am more likely to enjoy the story being told. While watching another of our selections, The Ruins, I found most of the acting to be more or less believable, but I was never truly invested in what was supposed to be the fright and tragedy of the situation. From frame one in Let The Right One In, I was entranced...

The snow falling, the shadows, the oppressive sense of darkness and loneliness - they all blend together to create another important aspect of effective horror film making - Atmosphere. This film has it in spades. And it's not just the locales, or the framing of shots. Again, it comes down to the characters and how they interact and live within each shot, each set, each location. You cannot help but absolutely believe that these places exist, that these... children are going through these experiences. Oskar and Eli are living (teehee), breathing characters.

I think, also, my appreciation for this film is helped by the way the ideology and nature of Eli, as the Vampire, were handled. This is by all accounts a love story, but for me it plays out as a tragedy more than anything else - but, I suppose all good love stories have some element of tragedy to them, as that's what makes it compelling. The fact that we have Eli's caregiver, an old man, in a slow, treacherous decline while we're being introduced to Oskar's lonely, ostracized character is a fantastic way to set up the basis of the story - the need for Eli to find a replacement, someone who would be able, and more importantly, willing, to look after her and... assist her.

I've not read the book that this, and the upcoming American adaptation, are based on, but I plan on rectifying that within the next month or so. I've been told that, as it is with most book to film adaptations, there was quite a bit left out or changed. I will admit, though, that I am definitely intrigued by the trailer for the film coming out this year, as it has the look, feel, and familiarity of what we've seen in the original.

This was a great choice and one I was more than happy to revisit!

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad it was such a hit for you! I picked this film because I, too, purchased it without having seen it, based on reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The darkness in the film is beautiful. It's very symbolic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think you hit the nail on the head with pegging the atmosphere as one of this film's contributing factors to being so undeniably full of ass-kick.. - i was watching The Rotten Tomatoes Show and they always have actors on giving their 5 favorite films and uber-talented Tilda Swinton was on this week and had LtROI on her list

    ReplyDelete
  4. think you pegged it better than anyone so far, the visual emotion of the whole piece, the atmosphere provided more ambiance than any special effect could have.

    Looking at Daryl's comment, and going out on a limb, what about the theory of Eli's slow transformations of her caretakers? I mean, the older man tried to off himself but still became the necessary sacrifice for her to sustain herself in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always happy to offer the out on a limb and the bat%^&* insane. But seriously. It really is a good movie. Very unique and very different. Good recommendation Erin.

    ReplyDelete