Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Backscheider's Thoughts on Caligari

First, my sincerest apologies for my inactivity. I'm really happy Darrel selected this movie because I'd never seen it or really heard about it. I can't say that I'm very familiar with German Expressionism or silent films so this was great exposure. I watched the version on Netflix which said something at the end about being updated in 1996. The first thing that I really liked about the movie was the cuts with the words, the style of it was really cool. About half way through I realized that they were in English and therefore obviously done later, probably in 96. That was kind of disappointing because they had such a hand made feel to them that was really unique and fit the mood. (Although they kept telling me it was night, which I thought was silly, the first night scene showed the lamp lighter and I instantly knew it was night). I also loved the sets. The village was great. The sets felt a lot like a theater production. The acting seemed very "theatrical" too. Pretty over the top. Creeping down the wall with one arm extended, ridiculous facial expressions. To me this reflects a lack of understanding of the new medium since these actions were probably more appropriate for the stage. Honestly, I fell asleep the first try watching this. Granted I started late, it was hard to really keep me involved after a very engaging opening scene. That's not to say I didn't like it, I did, I'm just too used to microwaves or something. Though I guess the story really fell into a killing, questioning redundancy. The twist ending was excellent. While I guess its widely believed that the twist is true, I felt like there's a possibility that either story could be true. I liked that ambiguity.

Overall, I liked it, felt the mood was great (I had an orchestra to set the mood) and thought the ending was great. I can understand how it influenced a lot that came after it. Thanks for the experience!

1 comment:

  1. Theatrical indeed. I believe most of the actors came from the stage at some point. The plot is pretty straightforward but its one of those movies that I watch once a year to remember how far movies have come.

    ReplyDelete