Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Brian Hammons' thoughts on The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I'd seen this film before, multiple times, including in one of several film studies course I took in college; still, it's an enthralling watch each time revisited, so thanks for the selection, Darrel! One thing I've noticed about this particular film is that I can't think of another that has so many different versions out there: with or without sound, addition of colorization techniques, etc. Every time I see it I feel like it's a different version than the previous ones. The one I got from the library had a new musical score which I found largely irritating. Ultimately, I decided to mute my television. It ranged from rather sardonic ominous tones, which I liked as they were genuinely creepy, to what sounded like amateurish improvisational jazz which only served to distract.

The plot is pretty straightforward and relatively paper-thin but that's not the movie's strong selling point. The stylized sets, forbearers to German Expressionism, are simply gorgeous. I love the shot of Ceasare carrying Jane over a footbridge while an angry mob scampers closely behind. The '20's saw the rise of the Dada and Surrealist movements, such a period of robust artistic creativity and aesthetic fearlessness. This film fits right in.

1 comment:

  1. Improvisational jazz? Wow....Mine had a really good classical score which was pleasant. There is a different version for each country it seems as each version is a different length. Mood and atmosphere this one has in droves. A piece of film history indeed.

    ReplyDelete