Saturday, May 8, 2010

Jared's Thoughts on Brothers Bloom...

I felt like this was a great way to start out the movie club for a couple of reasons. First, I absolutely adore this film, and thanks to Brian's initiative, we're all sharing films with each other that we enjoy. Secondly, and this actually just occurred to me, is that this movie is one that, I think, beautifully encompasses the language of film, and wants to share itself with you.

I'm a big fan of Rian Johnson's short, practically perfect filmography. I think Brick was a remarkable piece of cinema that played more like a film made by someone with years of experience under their belt. The fact that it's a feature film debut is almost baffling. When I heard the premise - a story about the long con, and about two unusually adept con men - one that he was again writing and directing, I knew that it was something that I would enjoy. So here's a segmented breakdown of what I enjoyed about the film:

*I should note that I am writing this without having read any of the posts already up. I'd like to get my thoughts out before delving in to everyone elses. So if it's redundant, that's why!*

Story: To me, this plays out like a story that was written as a story, then adapted for film. There's a playfulness and an overt, but restrained silliness that underlies the film throughout it's entirety that I find infectious. There are certainly nods to particular eras of films - the vibe I tend to get is a modernized version of the 50's, in both speech, clothing, and general attitude - but because of the way the story is told, there's a odd sense of timelessness that I really enjoy. Ulitmately, for me the story is about freedom, and what it means to you and what others might want it to mean for you. That Stephen loves his brother is without question, and that Bloom and Penelope belong together is also a no-brainer. But these are... fractured individuals, as all good characters usually are. It's important to keep in mind, even after seeing the film, that this is for all intents and purposes, a fantasy. This is someone's fevered re-telling of the lives of the Brothers Bloom...

Characters: So that obviously leads me to the characters.

I think Rachel Weisz was an absolute revelation. I've always more or less enjoyed her. I can't think of anything off hand that she's done that I actively dislike. But this film really brought out a new side of her that I would really like to see more of. She seems to have great comic timing and sensibilities, and they work so, so well here.

Adrien Brody and Mark Ruffalo played incredibly well off of each other. You could very easily buy that there was a lot of history and a certain amount of brotherly love and rivalry on more than just a surface level between them, and that's what's most crucial here.

Rinko Kikuchi is the secret weapon of the film, though. As if there was any need to ramp up or play up the physical comedy aspect of the film, they used her character Bang Bang to do so. Her mannerisms and gestures are so subtle, yet so memorable.

Style and Substance: As I said before, I view this as a fantasy film. I really don't get the whole "post-modern" schtick, as I don't think it actually means anything. At least, not to me. So viewed as a fantasy film, I think it works incredibly well. If I was to compare this to anything else that I have watched and enjoyed for it's quirkiness in style, language, and structure, it would have to be The Princess Bride. Again, with that film there's a willingness to be playful, but a restraint that keeps it from teetering over the edge in to camp. That's an incredibly difficult balance to achieve, and helps me to appreciate the film even more.

This is a film that seems to reward on second and third viewings. I watched it for the second time to prepare for our discussions and found myself enjoying it just as much, if not more. The same parts still struck me as genuinely funny - some subtle, others not so much - and I was able to find new aspects of the film that played a little differently in light of knowing how the story eventually plays.

Soem favorite scenes and moments: The segment when Bloom is "hit" by Penelope, and Stephen and Bang Bang give him scores for it. That scene was such an odd bit, but worked really well and makes me laugh, especially when Stephen shrugs and Bang Bang changes her score as Penelope crashes down the side of the hill.

I especially enjoy Stephens reaction to Penelope during the thunderstorm on the train, as well as Penelope's reaction to their kissing later on. They both play "awkward" so well.

All in all, I really enjoy this film. To think that this is only the second film of a new writer/director has me giddy. To know that we have a genuinely talented person that we can grow up with and watch as he develops is fairly spectacular. I hope that everyone got something out of it, maybe had a little fun watching it, and maybe even liked it.

4 comments:

  1. enjoyed reading your thoughts.. almost like a love letter to the film.. - i'd seen Brick previously and enjoyed it but didn't make the connection with the director.. - indeed it is exciting.. i'm the type of guy to follow directors I enjoy so I'll have to keep an eye out for his future work.. - he definitely directed this film with a confident hand that showed maturity as a filmmaker.. - i loved the use of zooms and different wipes which you don't traditionally see in Hollywood fare nowadays..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brick is another favorite of mine. I love how it is a very fitting shout out to noir movies of the 30's and 40's. The dialogue is what a lot of critics thought made it weak but not me. I thought the dialogue was what connected it to it's roots in noir films. I love how he has people dress and act very old fashion in his movies. Good stuff indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes i also didn't read a single thing before i posted mine, to leave preconceived notions out the window. I also loved the "score" scene, it takes a special mind to create that and make it so genuinely, well for lack of a better word, cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should go watch Brick!

    This was my first time watching the film and I think you hit the nail on the head. It's a great way to start the series because it's what film should be: a bit of love, a bit of drama, a bit of comedy and most importantly, a way to take us to a place that seems familiar but show it to us in a whole new way.

    ReplyDelete