Saturday, May 8, 2010

Brian Hammons' thoughts on The Brothers Bloom

So, the DVD just got dropped off in my mailbox -- now to watch the opening before getting my day started:

I dig the background jazz in the open. The montage of the city where there's just one of everything reminded me of absurdist work like Herman Melville's Bartleby, the Scrivener, stuff like one cat with one leg, etc. I loved Max Records in Where the Wild Things Are (2009) so was happy to see him here as young Stephen. The line "playground bourgeoisies" was classic. Interesting, in the original "con in 15 steps" they perpetrated as kids that Bloom was the love-struck one while Stephen was the mastermind, a la the the main con the movie is based upon. The first time I saw this I loved the line "Let 'em melt" as it's like, here's these popsicles all the other, more well-off kids had, and now that the bros. finally got some it's as though they're above it and just toss 'em aside as they leave that part of their lives behind.

The rest of the movie -- thoughts at 2AM:

The bit with Penelope showing all of her eccentric hobbies borders on the completely ridiculous when she's like, on stilts, juggling chainsaws. At that point I almost wanted to abort and scream "corned beef!" but I persevered. I liked the exchange where Bloom tells her "This isn't an adventure story", and she responds, "What are you talking about? Well, it totally is!" That was sort of her crossing the precipice into a new life. I loved the sequence with them holding hands with the beautiful piano melody around 53 min. in.

Another neat musical moment was Bloom stealing the apple and running set to the song "Miles to Nowhere" which could be looked at as symbolic as Bloom is often futilely running in circles unable to get away. I dug Penelope catching onto the con as Stephen lay "dying" in Bloom's arms, such an awkward moment but played so well. One of the film's most telling, poetic lines was Bloom's "I love her. I don't want to turn her into me." It definitely hit me harder on my second viewing.

When I originally saw this film and wrote (briefly) about it I said that at times it was perhaps too clever for its own good. And, while certain scenes (like the aforementioned chainsaw act) are outrageous and take me slightly out of the narrative, overall its uniqueness is its charm. Rachel Weisz, who I hadn't cared much for until I fell for her in the criminally overlooked The Fountain (2006) is really good as the lonely heiress full of naiveté and aloofness (yet rather perceptible -- "I think you're constipated, in your fucking soul..."). Ruffalo and Brody are, of course, fantastic. I urge my fellow movie club members (and anybody else reading) to seek out Ruffalo in You Can Count on Me (2000).

Probably the best line on the page and in delivery is Stephen's "You were the only audience I ever needed." It says so much about their relationship. Bloom's "I love you" doesn't feel like monologue, it's short and not expertly timed, like a real brother uttering the powerful words that aren't always easily expressed. I thought it was moderately good on my first watch, then found it rather brilliant on my second.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah that was one thing I noticed was how good the soundtrack was. Lots of good tunes in this one. It has some pretty powerful moments in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apple part you're speaking of, you mentioned it was symbolic of him basically running his life in circles, but the fact is, even though he proclaims "i had an epiphany" he keeps living the same life he did before, kind of a head scratcher; well talking with nicole before i post this, it doesn't really have much to do with his life as a piece in his brother's puzzle, but that was more about him liking his own seperate action, it was well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penelope's perception is interesting. Maybe somewhere along the lines she collected a hobby as a private eye.

    ReplyDelete