Friday, May 7, 2010

Adam's Thoughts on The Brothers Bloom

The Brothers Bloom cemented in my mind the myriad of reasons that Adrian Brody is one of my favorite modern-day actors. There were so many tremendous scenes in this movie that I can’t list them all, but one that I will list is the ending. In a struggle to realize his brother’s wish to get out of the life of conning after Bloom falls in love with Penelope, Bloom’s older brother, Stephen, finally realizes how much that living an “unwritten life” means to Bloom. So much so that he would feign a legit, life-ending injury so that Bloom could spend his days with Penelope. Two subtleties, which were even symbolic, in a sense that resonated with me happened around 13 minutes into the film when Bloom was sitting on the roof of a building. Stephen slams through the door so much so that it sounds like a gunshot. As the door closes graffiti comes into view of a man with a gun to his head. Also, this scene happened immediately after Bloom pointed his fingers at his head in the shape of a gun while on his way to the roof. The second subtlety happened around the half-hour mark when Penelope’s reflection is caught in a mirror. Looking closely you can see that the mirror is heart-shaped; symbolizing the love that Bloom was helplessly falling into with the wealthy, epileptic photographer. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable film with a great call-back at the end (real blood turns brown) that resonated with me. Thank you, Jared, for a great choice in film.

7 comments:

  1. I'd also like to add that if you read into the film deeply and look at the name "Bloom," you can draw your own conclusions of the inherent symbolism that lies within his name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for being the first to share your thoughts. Adrian is always terrific, but, Ruffalo is right up there on my short list of current actors. Good eye on the subtleties -- don't think I picked up on that symbolism on my first viewing a few months ago. I'll be re-watching the film in its entirety tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome catch on those rather subtle moments. I did notice them much more the second time around. Glad you liked the movie so much! It's one of my current favorites, and will probably go a long way towards being in an all-time list for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed several parts early on where diff. people or the graffitied wall had depictions of guns pointed to people's heads, guess it was supposed to indicate Bloom's life at the moment, he was always "under the gun" to play his roles for his brother

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete