Thursday, September 30, 2010

Brian B watched Old Joy

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to have as much to say about this film as Brian. I liked this film.

I have been interested in seeing Wendy and Lucy so it's good to know what I'm in for. The story is quaint which makes sense because I read that it is based on a short story. I love short stories and like how they can transition to film. It's interesting to see the juxtaposition between these two friends, though I got the feeling that it probably used to be very different. Their once natural chemistry is surprisingly absent now that they are on such different paths. From my own personal experiences this can be a very challenging emotion. The desire to reconnect and relive the old times with someone who you no longer really know. It's sad but doesn't have to be. I think that's what Mark finally figures out. Things are different now, they've grown apart, but that's okay. And the trip can still serve to refresh each others spirits.

Brian commented about the homoeroticism of the hot springs and I recall seeing that moment and thinking, "I bet a lot of people look way too much in this scene." I think Kurt was trying to help Mark, and connect with him and he finally decides to just shut up for a second and try to help his old friend relax. It's understandably a bit uncomfortable for Mark but once he remembers that this is his old friend trying to give him what he needs.

Overall, the film was good but I wouldn't call it great. At times it was a bit too slow for me but I enjoyed the relationship and the conversations.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about not having as much to say -- I'm just glad you watched it and shared your thoughts! If this was a bit slow for you, I'd imagine Wendy and Lucy would be decidedly more so, as it just has a girl and a dog so the conversation is a lot less stimulating. When I said I could see how this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, pacing was one thing that made me say it, most people aren't accustomed to films like this, most are (not saying you!) used to the highly stylized, breakneck editing, etc. demonstrated by the post-MTV generation's output. I really dig slower-paced fare, though, most notably David Gordon Green's phenomenal All the Real Girls and George Washington.

    I dig the idea of short stories being adapted into films, and at only 76 min. this fit the bill. I was also definitely fascinated by the juxtaposition you mentioned between the friends. It's real. For example, next time you're in town, if we get together for lunch, we'll talk about careers, life post-graduations, families, etc. whereas four or five years ago the conversation would have likely been dominated by pop punk album recommendations and who's are going to Pearl's Diner that night for coffee. We certainly miss the past (I know I often do) but we also have to be present.

    I'm in agreement with you about the moment not being homoerotic. A lot of essays, especially those in college papers, etc. mentioned it but I don't think it has any real barring on the film. The director has discussed it in interviews although I do think its odd the back of the DVD does reference Brokeback Mountain. One of the articles I read actually said that at the end, when Kurt's waiting around, the implication is that he's actually waiting on a date (presumably female?) that never shows.

    There's just so many little moments that I think of and further reinforce my love for this film whenever i think about it. I'm glad you did enjoy it, though!

    ReplyDelete