Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Adam's Thoughts on The Proposition

I must say that the thought of having a Western-type, gritty film placed in somewhere other than the Sonaron desert is quite refreshing. To place this film in the Australian outback was a very unique setting choice, which is really the best part about this film, in my opinion.

The premise of Roy Winston's (who is awesome) character bribing Guy Pearce's character to kill his older brother was a premise that had potential. The fact that Capt. Stanley was doing this to create a utopia for he and his wife to live in was a believable reason for the bribing of Charley Burns.

It's an interesting film because it makes you want to (perhaps unwillingly) place yourself in Charley's shoes: would you take the bribe, or protect your brother?

I enjoyed the arid fluidity of the film, and the gritty texture it provided onscreen. Pretty decent selection, overall.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry for the extra short review this time. Work and school are kicking me extra hard this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as far as putting ourselves in his shoes and debating on whether or not to take the bribe.. i was talking to jessie on the phone about this and here's my dilemma: why not just tell his brother, hey, here's what's up, they've got our younger brother and they want me to bring you in dead.. want to just join up and kill the couple policemen and take our brother back instead?

    am i right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are indeed. Logistical flaws~!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian I feel ya, but I also get the impression that Charlie, once presented with the idea, kinda likes the idea of ridding himself from his other brothers.

    Arthur is all about family, it seems to define him and keep him from being a "misanthrope". I don't think he would really let Mikey and Charlie just leave. I think the proposition gives Charlie and excuse

    ReplyDelete